There we go again. Yesterday I needed to take out the engine again as the clutch kept slipping in 3rd, 4th and 5th… I couldn’t find out what caused the clutch slip. After I inspected and cleaned all the parts, I put it all back in and today I tried it again. Sadly no improvement…
As said, I still have to connect the right wires to get the RPM and fuel economy signals to the dash:
After sorting out some wrong connected fuel lines (my fault, the pressure regulator sits at the opposite side compared to the m20), it was time to turn the key!! 😀 And after connecting the throttle cable and tidying up everything: Still, I had no RPM and fuel economy signal. But that should be an easy […]
Not my strongest point, sorting out the loom. This gave me a real headache… For the first time I was doing wiring and I couldn’t get my head round. None of the schemes I’d found told me the right thing (couldn’t find wiring schemes from a type 1 E28). Fortunately a good friend and college […]
Time for some small things. At first I decided to delete the CCV (crankcase ventilation) as I use the m52 dipstick without the small CCV pipe mounted to it. Deleting the CCV means I also have to make a plug for the hole in the inlet manifold. I made one out of POM again: Speaking […]
I realized I had to make my own exhaust flanges for the part between the manifolds and Simons mid silencer. For the first time I made something from a steel plate 🙂 2 flanges that match the manifold dimensions and 2 flanges that match the silencer dimensions.
Sadly I had to take out the engine… The steering bar and the front sub frame strut would hit the sump, so I needed to scrape some small bits off and I couldn’t get there while the engine was in the car.
Time to fit the engine loom and make a start with the custom loom (part between the m52 ECU and E28 car/dash loom):
Finally, after phoning every exhaust show in Holland and Germany my Simons Sports exhaust got delivered today! I also made a POM busing for the shifter (made of polyoxymethylene instead of rubber):
As my original m20 throttle cable snapped during the removal of the old engine, I needed to have a new cable. After some hours of searching and Googling I figured I needed the E36 325i cable with a curve in it (part #35411163228). I also made a custom plug for the coolant return tube. As […]
After checking the differences between the old brake booster and the new one, I noticed the rod on the master cylinder side had a different length. The old booster had some sort of stick on the end of the rod. After a wile I found out it could come off with pliers. Time to fit […]
I got the old m20b20 out! I started with taking out some small components on Friday night and I took out the engine on Saturday morning. After that I started with the brake booster. The rod needed to be shortened quite a bit. My father helped me sorting out the right length and shortening it. […]
Today I got all the oil I need for the swap: Castrol Edge 5W30 C3, engine oil ATF DEXRON II-D, power steering oil Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W140, differential (LSD) oil